Nothing says Queen’s Platinum Jubilee quite like Victoria sponge! Are you hosting a Jubilee celebration this weekend? Why not treat your guests to some mini Victoria sandwiches?
Mini Victoria sandwiches (makes 6)
200g caster sugar
4 eggs, beaten
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
140g icing sugar
170g strawberry jam
icing sugar, to decorate
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Butter a 12 cup muffin tin and line with disks of baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, cream together 200g caster sugar and 200g softened butter
- Beat in 4 beaten eggs, 200g self-raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 2 tbsp milk together until you have a smooth, soft batter.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden and a skewer poked into he centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat the 100g softened butter until smooth and creamy, then gradually beat in 140g icing sugar.
- Slice the top off of each cake to create a flat top and discard (by discard, we mean eat whilst nobody is looking!)
- Spread the buttercream on half of the cakes and jam on the other half then sandwich them together to make 6 mini Victoria sandwiches
- Dust with a little icing sugar before serving. Keep in an airtight container in a cool place and eat within 2 days.
Take a look at our Instagram to see a full walkthrough of this recipe.