If you’re taking part in Veganuary this year we are here to help you get the most out of those veggies. Getting back to work can be tough but having a scrumptious lunch to look forward to can help keep you going, here are some of our favourite vegan lunch recipes to give you that midday pick me up.
Butternut Squash and Cous Cous Salad
Make this delicious salad ahead of time and keep in the fridge to grab on your way out of the door. For best results make the dressing in a jar to take with you and pour over the salad just before eating.
Makes 4 servings
1 butternut squash peeled and cut into chunks
1tbsp Olive Oil
15 Black Olives, Pitted
100g Tomatoes, sliced
½ A Cucumber, seeds scooped out and cut into chunks
20g Basil, chopped
300ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
6 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°c/ 180°c fan/ gas mark 6
- Toss the butternut squash in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper, spread on a baking tray lined with grease proof paper or a silicone matt. Roast for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile put the couscous in a large bowl, make the vegetable stock with hot water from the kettle, pour over the couscous and cover the bowl with a plate or lid and leave to stand for 4-5 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Run a fork through the couscous to fluff it up then mix the olives, tomatoes, cucumber, kale and basil into the couscous.
- Remove butternut squash from the oven and mix into or lay on top of the couscous salad
- For the dressing mix all ingredients into a jar, pop the lid on and shake for an instant dressing, keep the dressing separate until just about to serve.
Chipotle chickpea tacos with simple guac
We’ve put this delicious simple filling into tacos but it would be great with rice or in a wrap.
Makes 4 servings
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 onion, finely chopped
400g chickpeas, drained
400g lentils, drained
1 tbsp chipotle paste
8 small corn tortillas
4 Medium tomatoes, chopped
Vegan grated cheese
For the Guac
1 Lime juiced plus extra to serve
1 Garlic clove, crushed
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, fry the onion until soft and golden
- Add the chickpeas, lentils and chipotle paste and fry for another 5 minutes, set aside.
- Cut the avocadoes in half, remove the seed and with a fork mash the flesh inside the skin then scoop out into a bowl and mix with the lime juice and garlic.
- Warm the tortillas through in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for around 30 seconds on each side.
- Fill each tortilla with the chickpea and lentil mix then top with guacamole, chopped tomatoes and vegan cheese.
Top Tip: to get the seed out of the avocado push through from the skin side and if the avocado is ripe the seed will pop out.
Vegan Banana and Walnut Oat Muffins
If you like a little sweet treat to go along with your lunch these are a great addition to your lunch box.
2 large overripe bananas
50ml vegetable or sunflower oil
65g light brown sugar
150g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
50g walnuts roughly chopped
4 tbsp oats plus extra to top.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl with a fork, then add the oil and sugar, stir until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, walnuts and oats. Mix until well combined.
- Line a cupcake tray with 10-12 cupcake cases
- fill each case with the mixture leaving about 1cm space for them to rise. Sprinkle each muffin with oats.
- Bake for 25 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.